Monday, January 2, 2012

Apple Cider Vinegar: A Cure for Crystals in Cats

About three months ago, my cat was very sick. I noticed his symptoms one night and was very frightened that he might not live through the night. I couldn't find an emergency vet -I've since learned to call animal control and they can supply you with one (plus I now have the name and number of an emergency vet on the fridge). But what could I do to help my cat that night? I searched the Internet looking for remedies.
I was pretty sure he had a urinary track infection because the symptoms were similar to the last few times he was ill. At that time, the vet said the only fear was that a crystal would become lodged rendering him unable to urinate at all. He would die within hours if this ever happened, the vet warned.
So, I locked my kitty in the computer room with me and the litter box to monitor him. He went pee with no problem. Then I scoured the web and found a site proclaiming the use of apple cider vinegar for cats. I read every post on that site (which was more than a hundred) and all the reviews were favourable. I gave Elliot rice wine vinegar as a substitution and headed out to the store for apple cider vinegar. (When I cook I readily make substitutions, but not when I try to cure my pets!)
Long story short, my cat was comfortable within two hours and completely cured within a few days. I've learned to put water in with his meaty cat food to ensure he drinks enough liquids and I add apple cider vinegar once in awhile too.



7 comments:

  1. I have heard that apple cider vinegar is good for fruit fly traps - Is this true?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think so! I found this site, listed below, that tells how to make a trap with vinegar. I bet that you can wipe surfaces with vinegar as a good way to disinfect the area if you are using conventional traps. It does make me question the old adage "you catch more flies with honey than vinegar" but who wants to catch them? I bet you just want to scare them off!

    http://insects.about.com/b/2009/09/21/fruit-fly-problem-try-a-homemade-vinegar-trap.htm

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are tons of uses for vinegar. Some people drink vinegar as a health tonic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This really works! I can't believe it! Thank you! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is great. My cat is feeling better already and I gave him some vinegar about 2 hrs ago.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My cat had the same thing, the Vet said he will die less than 24 hours than i gave him ACV he is happy and doing better, but i believe that it was God who saved him.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...