Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Book Review: Sewing in a Straight Line

I am currently reading Sewing in a Straight Line: Quick and Crafty Projects You Can Make by Simply Sewing Straight by Brett Bara. I just picked it up from the library yesterday and I can already tell you, I'll make a few of these patterns. There are skirt patterns and blouse patterns that are cut from the most basic shapes. Actually , they are not patterns only measurements to make your own patterns. And by pattern I mean rectangle. The cool chiffon blouse is made of four rectangles (2 body and 2 sleeves) and it drapes beautifully!  This book covers the basics for beginners but it appeals to the more experienced sewer as well. I really liked the french seams - something I've wanted to learn for a while now.

I like that the projects are simple, but look good. They don't look like beginner projects but they are! I wish I had had this book when I was a beginner. It covers a smattering of project types from clothes and accessories to home to gifts. And everything relies on your own measurements - so not only could you easily adjust things to be however big or small you wanted, the clothes can be made for anyone. I mean, the whole point of sewing is to get a good fit, so it makes sense.  That's one of the things I like the most - I feel like this book is a great jumping off point for many ideas and every project leaves a lot of room for you to customize however you like. I could see experimenting with embellishments with some of these patterns after you've made the ones in the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...