Sunday, January 22, 2012

I'm Writing a Play

At the last minute, our school has decided to put on a play for Education Week in April. That means that we have about ten weeks to find a play, audition students, rehearse the play, make costumes and a set, brochures and advertisements and perform the play. That's a lot to do.


So today I decided to write a children's play that we can perform this spring. I have no interest in helping out with the day-to-day work of the play. I've been there, done that. Its a lot of work and its thankless work. And I have too many things going on to sign up for that.

I think my biggest contribution will be writing this play. It is based on a wonderful story from Ethiopia, that a friend of mine read and emailed to me. I started writing the play, basing it loosely on this true event. And today, we will be editing it. I have no idea how it will be received at school. I think writing a play is something so out of the ordinary for the people that I work with that it will be met with incredulity. Either I didn't write it (because it is good) or since I wrote it, it can't be that good. I'll get back to you with the outcome.

While I will not be doing the day-to-day stuff, I will help with set design . And I will help with costumes too.

I'll tell you more about the story and the play as time goes by.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...