Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Laundry Detergent Recipe - and one for dishwasher detergent too!

Laundry Soap


A recipe I use for laundry detergent makes the price of Tide or Sunlight or other professionally made detergents outrageous.

Recipe:
  • ½ bar of soap, melted into a pot of hot water on the stove for approximately an hour. You can grate the soap if you want it to dissolve faster, but I don't bother with it. I use Ivory soap but any soap will do.
  • Pour diluted soap mixture into a large bucket and add the following ingredients.
              1 cup of borax
              1 cup of Washing soda
              6 litres of hot tap water
               add 1 cup of Clorox bleach for the unbleachables (optional)
  • Stir and let the mixture sit. Sometimes it gels and sometimes not ( i think it depends on the temperature outside) Which ever it cools into being, doesn't matter, it works!
  •  Use ½ cup per load


I find this recipe makes enough for about 24 loads. Which means, when I spent about $10 on the ingredients, those ingredients make about two years' worth of detergent. (Just to be sure: the box of Borax has about 20 cups of borax in it for about $4 as does the box of washing soda. Therefore, I buy about two years' worth of ingredients at a time.) Makes you re-think Tide, doesn’t it?




Dish Washer Detergent:

1 cup of Washing Soda
1 cup of Borox

Put both ingredients into a jar and measure our 2 tbsp for each dish wash run.


3 comments:

  1. Great recipe. I have been using a similar one for years. I don't know why others buy them -its so much more expensive and a lot less effective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried this recipe and the house smells so good. I hope its good at cleaning the clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've made some good points there. I looked on the internet to find out more about the issue and found most people will go along with your views on this site.

    Review my webpage seo services agency

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...