Monday, January 16, 2012

Money Saving Tip of the Week (#2)

Say No to Car Extras

  • Your car dealer may to sell you rustproof treatment and fabric protection at $100 a pop, and paint protection for as much as $250. "Usually these extras are the dealer's way to squeeze more money out of you," says Bob Elliston, author of What Car Dealers Won't Tell You. Do-it-yourself fabric protector costs about $10 a bottle. Paint protection is unnecessary, since most cars have many layers of paint. And skip rustproof treatment: cars come already treated so that they won't need it. (from: http://www.readersdigest.ca/home-garden/money/8-ways-save-money)
  • I also noted that when I bought my car, I said no to the $2000 air-conditioning upgrade. Well, it was such a hassle for the car maker to do that they ended up throwing in air-conditioning free. 
  • Tires (even snow tires) can be bought used for about $35/tire. Look in the phone book for a used tire store. 
  • I keep apples in the car so that if I am hungry when I commute, I'm not tempted to stop for fast food. Its not really a car tip but it goes with driving the car, so I put it here.
  • I did have a scratch on my car and I bought a as-seen-on-TV scratch pen for $14 at Canadian Tire. The sales clerk pointed out that I should try it in the parking lot and return it if it didn't work. It turned out to be the best $14 I've spent in a longtime.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...