Tuesday, February 21, 2012

How I Came To Use Printable Patterns

I love the Hazel dress by Victory Patterns. I wanted to make it because I have the perfect fabric for it (muted brown linen with pale pink satin) but the pattern is the downloadable variety. Well, I decided to take the plunge and I purchased it....

Hazel Pattern Cover by Victory Patterns

I want to use the linen for the skirt and the pink for the blouse. I am really excited....


The pattern came in two pdf files - one has the instructions, the other the pattern. I printed all the pages and followed the instructions to put the pattern pieces together. Actually, you piece together a big rectangle and then cut the pattern pieces from it. I had to check the scale of the printing first - luckily that was spot on.



I had to rummage around my workplace (a school) looking for a ruler that had inches on it. All our rulers are centimeters. I happened to find one that had both centimeters and inches. (Otherwise, I would have had to do the math - which is quite simple but on the first morning back from a long weekend it seemed too much!)






Then I put the giant puzzle pieces together. It went quite quickly....

I used a lot of tape though!!!


Pros of downloadable patterns:
- you get your pattern almost immediately
-you can save it on the computer to use again
-the layout is quite easy and it goes quickly


Cons of downloadable patterns:
-tissue patterns are ready to go where as these take about 30 minutes to put together (on their website, Victory Patterns says that some copy shops will print the pattern in one piece on a larger printer)
-I'm more familiar with tissue ones


I have the fabric in a pre-wash tonight and plan to cut it tomorrow (after tracing the pattern onto butcher paper so that it is more useable on fabric). I'm tempted to skip this step but I am just too new to printable patterns to do it. So tomorrow, I will have another bit of prep, before I can go ahead and sew the pattern.

5 comments:

  1. Con: printer ink and paper

    ReplyDelete
  2. It takes alot more work to use printable patterns but you save on shipping. And you have to have a printer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those big printers cost $$$. I've had some posters printed, and they run in the neighborhood of $30-$80, depending on both the size and the quality of paper. Even using the cheapest paper, it would make no sense to use those for sewing patterns!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have to disagree with ya there Howard, I get all my pdf patterns printed at the copy store (I lack the time and interest in printing & gluing together 30 bits of A4 each time I want to sew something). At the two independent copy stores near my place the most I have ever paid for a multi-sized pattern is A$8.60 (the Adam multi sized men's coat pattern from Burda style) on large reel i.e. the whole thing (every size) on one 'page'. Everything else has cost less (and the more patterns I print at one go the cheaper it gets; within reason). The paper quality is slightly thicker than regular 'good quality' office A4 so they last longer than the tissue ones as well.

      For whatever reason Office works/ Office max (the big chains here in Oz) quote mental prices like $30 because (and I'm only guessing here-the teenagers working there just multiply the number of A4s by the size of the large reel-to figure out the price) which is insane and not how Economics works. Which is just another good reason for me not to support the chains. XD

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the information. Now that I know how to explain it and what I am looking for and an approximate price, I will look into having it printed. I only use two or three patterns for any issue and so, it is worth the extra expense.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...