Monday, April 2, 2012

Do You Subscribe to Burda?

I love Burda patterns when I buy them in the store. They come with seam allowances and a pattern that I can cut out. I like that. I'm learning to like printable patterns too; but the ones you can buy in an envelope are what is familiar. And there is an easiness to that.




I also subscribe to Burda magazine. Fool that I am, I pay $120 Cdn a year for my subscription and I probably only make one or tow patterns from them each year. Those are very expensive patterns indeed! Two patterns for $120...and without seam allowances no less. This year, I plan to make at least three items from each magazine. 







I think I subscribe to Burda for the motivation it provides. Somehow just flipping through the magazine makes me happy. I'm not a clothes horse nor am I very into fashion. But I love getting a new issue in the mail.

I recently bought the new Burda book and I love it!


This book is more about the creativity open to those who sew. I loved seeing the featured garments made by Burda members around the world. It's really inspiring what a woman (or sometimes a man) can do with some fabric and a pattern!

The book aims to be a combination of coffee table book and creative outlet. Our pages will inspire and incite readers to push their sewing skills and continue creating! Much like the BurdaStyle online community, the book will be a comprehensive sewing resource, featuring fantastic, easy-to-understand projects, sewing creations made by our talented members, an extensive glossary of key sewing terms and much more. We are excited to offer this book to sewing enthusiasts and interested observers alike.
From the Burda blog

20 comments:

  1. Burda is amazing. I love the fashions and I love the magazine. All clothing is well put together, showing current trends (future trends for north america!) in Europe in shoes, purses, jewelry, colour choices and more. They use fashion forward textiles to make the garments and the photos are clear enough that you can get trim detail and figure out fabric from your local store.

    If you do sew, this magazine will keep you from wasting money on outdated expensive paper patterns (yes, outdated) AND keep you in the front end of fashion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the inspiration that I find in the Burda Style magazine. So many fabulous patterns, so little time! Sigh...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! Burda inspires me. I don't get around to a lot of the patterns though. I want that to change...

      Delete
  3. If you make one garment from each issue the subscription has more than paid for itself. Good info on sizing patterns up or down in the back issues I recently received - keeping the proportions if using a "petite" or a "tall" pattern if you are neither. Pattern directions themselves can be less than enlightening, though - perhaps "non-fluent" would be the best description of their translation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been getting this magazine for years. The clothing made from a Burda magazine pattern fits like nothing else.

    Each magazine seems to have a theme, office clothes, sportswear, dress up. You have to collect a few issues before all your pattern needs are filled. And do hold on to those old issues. You need to create a library of Burdas.

    And the fit!!! No pattern other pattern fits like Burda. They require some advanced skills. Tracing can get very tiring. But if you want to be the best dressed and not look like you shop at the mall then this pattern mag is for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think Burda is worth the very expensive price tag...

    ReplyDelete
  6. The fit on Burda patterns make all the tracing worth it. The fashions are really forward and still, suitable for the workplace. I think we all have a Burda library.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yup. I subscribe to Burda. I love it but I hate the price.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yet Burda Plus is only $10/yr. I love this blog Nothy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I get Burda at the newsagents. It is a guilty pleasure - I haven't made any pattern ever but I do dream!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't subscribe but I do pick up the odd copy now and again at the newsstand. I enjoy it but it is much too expensive to subscribe to.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Burda ages well. I still use mine from 2005!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My favourite skirt pattern is in Burda. I find they get better with age. When I leaf through a mag the month I get it, I always think I won't make anything. A year later, I feel very differently!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just bought 10 Burda from a garage sale - they date from 2008 to 2012. Score!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love coming upon a bunch of Burdas at a thrift store or a used store! Yesterday I bought two from 1999. I want to make a bunch of patterns from them. They have realled lasted the test of time.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love Burda magazine. Sue, some of the issues are not as good as others. But about three times a year they make an issue that is so outstanding that I want to make everyhing in it. It's well worth the money. A single pattern from Vogue or Simplicity can run you $20! So at $10/issue, I call that a deal

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just buy a copy now and then at the news stand.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I do love the Burda mags - I go and buy them one at a time at a Polish grocery store near Toronto. I do speak/read Polish, but I find that I just wing it when it comes to putting everything together for the most part. I also picked up some German and Italian ones while travelling. I figure I can always use google translate or something to figure out what I'm meant to do :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha I've got some German ones as well. The English instructions are so bad that it's not very different reading them in German XD

      Delete
  18. I don't subscribe and I prefer their older designs (2007-2009) to their more recent stuff (although I bought July+Aug 2012 based on two makes I saw on sewing blogs). The seam allowance thing isn't a problem for me I use an adjustable double wheeled tracing wheel and carbon paper for tracing (the lack of seam+ hem allowances makes the patterns awesomely easy to manipulate/ modify) for instant allowance generation XD Overall I do prefer Patrones, La Mia Boutique and Knipmode to Burda though (most of my makes tend to be from Knipmode with a smattering from the other two mags..). Generally I don't buy single envelope patterns (big four). They're expensive here in Australia and the fit isn't very good (or consistent across lines).

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...