Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Is There a Better Way to Trace Burda Patterns?

Here is the May edition of Burda Magazine.

Even though its summer (or it feels like summer), I am really into making pants. I have a new-found confidence with sewing thanks to all the support from friends on this blog.

I read through the pattern. Okay, sounds straight-forward. No more difficult than any pair of pants.

Then I pulled apart the pattern pages. Man! Burda prints all its patterns on two super-large sheets of newsprint. The patterns are marked with a colour-code and a sheet number (actually letter) as well as pattern piece numbers. So I needed Sheet A, Green pattern, pieces 21, 22, 23, 24 and 25.

I didn't know where to start. So I started with cutting the super-large newsprint page in half as per the instructions.
Then I was lost. What could I do? This was confusing to even look at. I decided to trace over the pieces I wanted with pink hi-lighter as a way of making them standout so I could trace the pieces. Even with this method, and a friend's help, I traced out two incorrect pieces.

We persevered only because there was no other way (or so it seemed to us). Also, it was a beautiful, sunny Saturday on the long weekend, and we were sitting outside.

This is the plastic I used to trace my pattern pieces. It is 3.5mm thick contractor's quality drop sheets (made for covering off whole sections of the house when major renovations are completed. I paid $10 for it and I have enough for a good long time.

Again here is the unreal pattern sheet... with the hi-lighted pattern pieces

Here is where I traced over them (with a Sharpie). I did the piece first and then added the grain-line and other markings, using a ruler.

On each piece, I wrote Burda and the date of the magazine (05/120 and the number of the pattern and the name of the pattern piece. Just in case the pieces go astray. Cutting them out was very fast. 

I'm not sure if I'm missing something that is obvious to others. If you have a different way to do it, please let me know...

12 comments:

  1. This is why I purchase the printable ones...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope...in my world this is how it works too. But Burda patterns are so lovely it's worth it. And if you use one or two from each magazine the cost saving on pre-printed ones is well worth it too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Burda patterns too. I was hoping that someone had figured out a quick and easy way to trace them out and that I was just missing the boat. Oh well...

      Delete
  3. I use a traceable and sewable pattern paper from Nancy's notions. You trace the pattern with it then add the seam allowance and can use it as a test garment too. Its very durable! Its the easiest way to do Burda patterns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay great! I am definitely going to check it out! Thank you!!!!

      Delete
    2. I have bought the trace and sew fabric too. Its a good deal. Then my husband commented that it looks similar to fabric they sell in the plumbing section at Home Depot. It sells for about $.10/foot. It is the same fabric as far as I can tell. I spent $5 and have a year's worth. It depends on how much you sew but it is a lot cheaper.

      Delete
  4. You can use different ways to trace the pattern but it is always just as long a task. Burda is well-worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks like a nightmare to cut and trace, but the pattern does look very nice. It'll be great to see the finished trousers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What really helps me is checking often with the tiny drawings in the instructions. I also look for any markings, notches, darts, you name it - it is just nasty having to add the darts at a later stage.
    Half the time, I use a transparent paper to trace the pattern pieces. But sometimes I trace them putting large pieces of paper underneath the Burda pattern with carbon paper in between. Then I'm working directly on the Burda sheet which really helps me with complicated pattern pieces or telling blue and green apart in artificial light.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I may try that carbon copy method of yours. I just have to find a store that sells it!

      Delete
  7. not sure if you found a more helpful way to trace burda patterns.. 'a fashionable stitch' blog has a cool video of 2 different methods for tracing burda patterns..

    ReplyDelete
  8. i lay out the pattern on the front room floor then trace over the pattern with grease proof paper, (its also called baking paper in england) this has always worked for me, as i have a ready supply on hand. keep trying till you get a method which works for you burda patterns are fun and easy to sew.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...