Saturday, May 12, 2012

Sewing Crafts: A Big List of Blogs that Have Projects for Scrap Fabrics

What can you do with fabric scraps? I have tons of fabric scraps! Recently I came across some information on making braided rugs. I love it. I think this is something I will be doing very soon. Craft Passions has a good tutorial here.



Here are a few ideas to help you get started on uses for your fabric scraps. 
  • doll clothes & doll blankets
  • pillows made from strips  (include an extra 1/8 in. for seam)
  • coasters
  • place mats made from strips (include an extra 1/8 in. for seam)
  • book covers, cell phone covers
  • small purses
  • wrapping a gift
  • fabric covered buttons
  • small gift bags for all occasions
  • patchwork quilts
  • potholders made of strips
  • dog outfits
  • decorate bathroom  & kitchen towels
  • small coin purses with buttonhole closure 


Here are some blogs and websites that offer intriguing ideas and tutorials for fabric scraps: 


Dixie DIY used scraps to make her "using scraps one yard wonder cheeky panties" featured on her blog.

Polka Dot Pineapple is a blog is filled with fun craft items to make that a quick, easy and look good. Here is a link to her denim coaster tutorial.


Primitive Spirit has a post on using scraps in a fun way.

Wellie Boots and Muddy Paws is a blog about country living. You should visit it just for the beautiful photos. There is a great post on fabric hearts made from scraps.


Me Sew Crazy made a cloth "I Spy Fabric Matching Game" that is so adorable. I bet any mother would love this game just because it is machine washable. I wish I had one for my classroom!


Sew Weekly has a post titled "The “(using) UP (my scraps)” Skirt" with a nod to the movie Up.


About.com has an article and directions on sewing a Yo-yo Doll with fabric scraps.


Handmade Future has a list of interesting things to do with scraps - make scrunchies and fabric bracelets to baskets and more.

Crafting a Green World has a tutorial on making fabric flowers with scraps here.

Neck warmers for aching muscles and decorative trees that look spectacular are made from scraps at Fun in the Making: a green blog. Check the whole site out, it is really great!


SeeKateSew made a fabulous map of the United States with her scraps. Here is her tutorial. It is really fabulous. I think I may have to make this one (of North America of course, since I am in Canada).

See my second list here.

15 comments:

  1. I love the map idea. So creative!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the braided rug. I want to make a large one for my front hallway. I have seen the big manufactured ones in stores and they aren't as nice as the one in the picture. Thanks for the link to the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi There, you recently wrote on my blog, and it was spammed! I do not know why but thankyou for your kind comments about my flower and i look forward to reading an following your blog Kate

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous list Nothy. I like the braided bracelets. Having two daughters, I know that one will be a hit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this list. Its a one stop shopping list for crafts to make with scraps! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great list! I am going to try to make the shower curtain.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a great article! I found this site Braided Rugs to be good if you are looking for Braided rugs for your home!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can I add another tutorial link to this list? I've checked both lists and it isn;t on either. Crunchy Betty has a tutorial on how to make wool balls for the dryer - which is an environmentally friendly alternative to dryer sheets. Here is the link:
    http://www.crunchybetty.com/how-to-make-felted-wool-dryer-balls

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great link. I love this idea for scraps because it can actually save me some money! Thanks Janice for letting me know about the site.

      Delete
  9. This is a great list! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just purchased a vintage industrial Singer 31-15 that had a existing needle in it...which I broke quickly when testing the machine....so I purchased some vintage needles on eBay that stated they were for a 31-15..but when I received them...they couldn't pick up the bobbin thread???? I used a new needle from my house machine and it works but isn't strong enough..I'm looking for a #18 or #20....why wouldn't the needle I purchased pull the bobbin thread up....too short???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really want a 15-31 ...I currently have a Singer 401 and I love it. I find Singer brand needles are the best in them and then Swartz. I have trouble with every other brand of needle in my vintage Singer.

      Delete
  11. Well since I have my own embroidery site I would of course say www.goodiesbygail.com but I see other digitizer's work and am all the time recomending them. I enjoy Julia's Needle Designs, Snagger's Stitches and Glenn Harris Embroidery Designer. There are so many good ones It would take all day

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...