Sunday, May 6, 2012

A Simple Jean Dress or How I Spent This Weekend

All of a sudden, I am very interested in seam finishes and top stitching...
This is a really structured dress, and structured dresses tend to be very flattering.

This small bust detail really draw attention upwards!

Look at that: this dress has curves when no one is wearing it!!!

I had tons of trouble with the back darts but in the end I think they turned out okay.

I will NEVER do a zipper like this again...

I bought this pattern (V8576) from Vogue when they had their $3.99 sale in February.
I had denim in my stash for awhile. I decided to use it up rather than purchase fabric for a muslin. And it turned out pretty well. I will wear this dress.

12 comments:

  1. It looks like it could use some pockets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it Nothy! You definitely made changes to that pattern though. I'm glad you are having fun making these patterns your own! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love having a new outfit after the weekend! Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ANd yes, any dress a teacher wears needs pockets!

      Delete
  4. Great blog Nothy. I just found it via Sewaholic. I love the dress. It looks blue in some pics and more of a faded grey in others. What colour is it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't notice the colour distortion until you pointed it out. It is a faded grey not blue. I would have preferred blue but I am trying to save money by using what is in my stash. I also have a denim with flowers embroidered on it...I'll make that one soon.

      Delete
  5. You have to love a dress that has curves when no one is wearing it....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great Nothy. I love your dress. I noticed you changed a few things about the pattern. I have that pattern too. The zipper is originally in the back. Why did you reposition it to under the arm?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great DIY! Love the denim dress and I think it turned out great :) xo akiko
    Style Imported

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow...Nothy...you did a really wonderful job...i wish i can sew so well. I have trouble following patterns cuz i am not good at precision and accuracy....i improvise too much. By the way i don't have any special tips for thrifting. Somehow there always seems to be something cute waiting for me. But seriously i think it's because the thrift stote i go to is quite messy and disorganized so it is not so popular. I enjoy going through the messy racks to look for treasure :-)

    mongs
    mythriftycloset.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...