Sunday, June 3, 2012

No Knead Pizza Dough with your Electric Mixer


You can save money and eat pizza! Make large slabs on cookie trays or individual ones for each member of the family...

This is a fun, zesty, pizza dough. You can make and freeze your own pizza dough for a fraction of the cost of frozen pizzas or store-bought pizza dough!


Prepare the dough, and while it rises, chop, slice and shred the toppings for your pizza.


1 package (2-1/4 teaspoons) active dry yeast
1/2 cup warm (tap) water
1 teaspoon sugar
3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1-1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 dried basil
1/2 garlic powder
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 cup cold water
flour or cornmeal for dusting


In a 2-cup liquid measure, dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water. Let stand until foamy, about 3 - 5 minutes. Insert dough blade in work bowl and add flour, salt and olive oil. Add cold water to yeast mixture. (I used my electric mixer for this).


With machine running, pour liquid into bowl as fast as flour absorbs it. Mix until dough cleans sides of work bowl and forms a ball. Blend for 45 seconds longer to knead dough. Dough may be slightly sticky. Dust dough lightly with flour; transfer to a plastic food storage bag, squeeze out air and seal top. Let rise in a warm place for about 45 minutes

Place dough on a lightly floured surface and punch down, let rest 5 - 10 minutes. Roll into desired crust sizes and follow pizza recipe.

Note: If you only wish to make one pizza, you may freeze half the dough before it rises. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and place in a freezer bag. When ready to use, remove in the morning, unwrap, rub with olive oil and place in a medium bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and allow the dough to thaw and rise during the day. It will be ready punch down and roll out in about 8 hours.

Toppings:



Everyone knows the best part of the pizza is the toppings, here is a list of every conceivable topping imagined. Splurge on toppings because you saved on the crust!


Vegetables:

Alfalfa Sprouts
Artichoke hearts
Avocado
Baby leeks
Beetroot
Black Beans
Broccoli
Capers
Capicolla
Carrot
Cherry tomatoes
Dried tomatoes
Eggplant
Fungi
Fungi carciofi
Green peppers
Kalamata olives
Lettuce
Mushrooms
Onions
Olives
Peas
Porcini mushrooms
Portobello Mushrooms
Red beans
Red onions
Red peppers
Roast cauliflower
Roasted eggplant
Roasted garlic
Roasted peppers
scallions
Shallots
Snow peas
Spinach
Sun dried tomatoes
Sweet corn
Watercress
Wild mushrooms
Yellow peppers
Yellow squash
Zucchini
Nuts:

Almonds
Peanuts
Pistachios
Pecans
Pine Nuts
Walnuts

Herbs and Spîces:

Basil
Bay Leaf
Cardamon
Chili Dried or Fresh
Chives
Cilantro
Coriander
Cumin
Dill
Garlic
Jalapeno Peppers
Laurel
Marjoram
Methi Leaves (aka Fenugreek)
Oregano
Parley
Pepper
Rosemary
Basil
Bay Leaf
Cardamon
Sea Food:

Anchovies
Cajun Prawn
Crayfish
Lobster
Oysters
Prawns
Salmon
Shrimps
Smoked Salmon
Squid
Tuna
Whitebait

Cheese:

Blue Cheese
Brie
Camembert
Chedar
Colby
Feta
Goat Cheese
Gorgonzola
Limburger
Manchego
Monterey Jack
Parmesan
Mozzarella
Muenster
Port de Salut
Provolone
Ricota
Romano
Roquefort
Smoked Gouda
Meats:

Bacon
BBQ Chicken
Beef
Cajun Chicken
Chicken Masala
Chicken Tikka
Chorizo
Duck
Ham
Honey Cured Ham
Meatballs
Pepperoni
Proscuitto
Salami
Sausage
Serrano Ham
Turkey
Venison

12 comments:

  1. This is a great recipe to make with kids. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what I am going to describe is not proper pizza dough, it does need cooking on baking paper (which I re-use several times) but it can be made in a few minutes.

    I call this a scone, but in the USA it is called a biscuit. Make that mixture and roll it out to whatever thickness you want and add toppings.

    The easiest topping I use is to spread tomato paste/puree onto the rolled out base, then sprinkle on grated cheese. A quick and easy store cupboard snack or lunch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is such a cool variation on a slice of pizza. I read this yesterday and made it with my kids last night. We all loved it. I thought their would be enough for school snacks today but we gobbled them all up. Next time, I'll have to make a lot more. Thanks for the scone-variation Maureen!

      Delete
  3. Bye the way, did you realise that you can freeze cheese? I freeze cheese I have bought on offer either in the block or grated and weighed/measured into 2oz portions.

    It is more crumbly when thawed when frozen in the block but that's the only difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I didn't know that! Thanks for the tip. I will grate my cheese first and then freeze it, next time I buy in bulk. Thanks so much!

      Delete
  4. Your topping list is amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this!!!!! I'm printing this...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I think there's no end to the potential toppings for pizza. I've had pizza before that had corn as a topping, and pizza that had potatoes as a topping. I would not recommend either, but I was overseas and thought I would give it a try.

    Your recipe sounds great, but the biggest difference to me may well be the sauce. Perhaps on another post?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to stick with some store-bought pasta sauce for now until I can come across a good recipe for pizza sauce that I can make myself.

      Delete
  7. Yes, yes, yes, how did I miss a post about homemade pizza? Your recipe looks delicious, though I might try this with a slow overnight rise in the fridge, just to get that extra bit of flavour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea Meraj! I have some pizza dough rising in the fridge now - I hope it helps develop a stronger taste overnight.

      Delete
  8. This sounds really good. I will try this.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...