Saturday, June 2, 2012

Understitching: So Important in Garment Construction

Sewing in lining can be a lot of work. Using under-stitching can make your garment look like a piece of art.


What is Under-stitching?

Necklines with facings and sleeveless blouses both use under-stitching to work the garment. It is a line of straight stitches that keeps the facing tucked nicely away inside the garment. Basically, you sew the seam allowance of the garment to the lining. That is, when a facing is sewn to the edge of a v-neck neckline, the under-stitching keeps the facing from rolling out so that it is visible to others. You under-stitch the facing to the seam allowance so the facing stays in place. You might also see under-stitching around the waist of a lined skirt – the style without a waistband. You can under-stitch lining in a garment without facings or you can under-stitch through all layers if the garment has both. Under-stitching is important for garments with many layers.




How do you under-stitch?


  1. Following the pattern instructions, apply the facing to the garment. After sewing, trim the seam allowances.
  2. Clip into a curved seam at regular intervals, staggering the clips from layer to layer of the seam allowance width. Press all the seam allowances toward the facing (or lining). Remember, this can include the garment, facing, interfacing and any collar seam allowances as well, so there can be many layers. 
  3. Set the machine for a straight stitch at 12 stitches per inch and use thread to match the garment facing. 
  4. The under-stitching is positioned about 1/8" to the right of the actual seam-line. If your machine has an adjustable needle position, use it to correctly position the stitching line. 
  5. It's important that the stitching go through all the seam allowance layers to properly function, keep checking underneath as you sew to be sure the seam allowances are caught by the under-stitching. 
  6. (I baste the underlining on by hand because it is less frustrating than going back and fixing the places where I didn't manage to catch all the layers).

13 comments:

  1. We're a gaggle of volunteers and opening a new scheme in our community. Your website provided us with useful information to work on. You have performed an impressive process and our whole group will likely be thankful to you.
    Look into my blog post - here are the findings

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there I am so thrilled I found your blog, I really found you by mistake, while I was searching on Google for something else, Nonetheless I am here now and would just
    like to say thank you for a fantastic post and a all round entertaining blog (I also love the
    theme/design), I don't have time to read through it all at the moment but I have bookmarked it and also added in your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read much more, Please do keep up the superb work.
    My webpage :: right here

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I've truly enjoyed browsing your blog posts. After all I will be subscribing to your feed and I hope you write again very soon!
    Also see my website: check this out

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello There. I found your blog using msn. This is a very well written article.
    I will be sure to bookmark it and return to read more of
    your useful info. Thanks for the post. I'll certainly comeback.
    Also visit my web blog ... site definition

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was suggested this web site by my cousin. I am not sure whether this post is written by him as no one
    else know such detailed about my problem. You
    are incredible! Thanks!
    Here is my site :: view homepage

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is very interesting, You are a very skilled blogger.
    I've joined your feed and look forward to seeking more of your great post. Also, I have shared your website in my social networks!
    Here is my site ... thanksgiving disney clipart

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks in favor of sharing such a pleasant thought, article is nice,
    thats why i have read it completely
    Visit my web blog this post

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello, after reading this remarkable article i am also delighted
    to share my know-how here with mates.
    Feel free to visit my weblog ... learn more

    ReplyDelete
  9. wonderful points altogether, you just received a emblem
    new reader. What might you recommend in regards to your post that
    you simply made some days ago? Any certain?
    my page :: on front page

    ReplyDelete
  10. If you would like to increase your know-how only keep visiting this site and be updated with the latest news posted here.
    My web-site : stretch mark removal cream

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey there, You have performed a great job. I'll certainly digg it and in my view suggest to my friends. I am sure they will be benefited from this web site.
    Also visit my web blog : car hire transport sale

    ReplyDelete
  12. Unquestionably believe that which you said.
    Your favorite reason seemed to be on the web the easiest
    thing to be aware of. I say to you, I certainly get irked while people
    think about worries that they just don't know about. You managed to hit the nail upon the top and defined out the whole thing without having side-effects , people could take a signal. Will probably be back to get more. Thanks
    Feel free to surf my webpage : green mountain coffee Coupons Printable 2012

    ReplyDelete
  13. What's up to every body, it's my first pay a visit of this
    website; this website includes awesome and actually fine
    material in favor of visitors.
    My site - snoring Mouth guard Over the Counter

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...