Sunday, July 15, 2012

Fixing A Pattern So It's a Better Fit

This is the pattern. Notice the "very easy very  Vogue" tag on the label. This may be easy but I don't find it easy to fit empire waist dresses or blouses. I think my fitting skills are not all that great and in a more fitted dress, it all balances out. In an empire waist dress, it is only the short bodice that is fitted...and I have a hard time getting proportion on such garments.

This is the muslin - made from an old duvet cover. I don't make many muslin and when I do, I don't like to spend money on them. (I have to get myself some Swedish Tracing Paper or something of the like so that my pattern and the muslin can be one in the same).  Anyway, notice that I added a piece at the end of the fitted bodice - I didn't pattern fit and then had to improvise when I didn't like the length....

I lined it with fat quarters. Generally I would choose a more slippery fabric for lining but  I made do with what I had hanging around....

Zipper.

I used contrasting thread because this is a very light weight denim...

The pattern doesn't call for a back slit but I added one because clothes are first for function with me. I have to be able to move quickly....

2 comments:

  1. This is a very pretty looking dress. Love the alteration and the fat quarter lining.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Evie! I'm going to try this pattern again with a more fluid fabric. I think this pattern it needs more drape.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...