Tuesday, August 14, 2012

How Do You Get Rid of A Musty Smell from Zippers?

Readers, I need your help. I recently found a bag of metal zippers at a thrift shop. There must be 50 zippers in this bag, all in beautiful condition. Well, of course, I grabbed them right away. I am thrilled with my buy ($3.99 for the bag) because I often replace zippers on students' winter jackets at school. 

This buy will save me a lot - I usually pay $3 -5 a zipper. I don't charge the students because I am a teacher and I don't want any misunderstandings coming from an exchange of money. So, I pay for the zippers myself and when all is said and done, it isn't a lot of money at all. But this new stash of zippers will save me money and individual trips to the fabric store. There is only one problem....




The zippers have a musty smell to them. How do I remove the smell? I have had them soaking in Downy but I don't want to do that for too long because the metal may rust. 

So I am appealing to you, dear readers, what can I do? Please let me know know any hints or tricks you've tried or think will work. I am desperate!

Update: 

I ended up fusing a lot of suggestions together and the musty smell is gone! I washed once with bleach, boiling water and drying them on hot in the dryer. This took a huge part of the smell out. Then I used Lysol, soaked for ten minutes and rinsed with water. And I put them in the dryer again. The smell is all gone - good riddance. Thank you for all your suggestions! 

13 comments:

  1. I'd try putting them through with a load of regular laundry -- all the way through the drying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why not put them through the laundry with regular laundry detergent and Lysol? I've used Lysol before for tough stains (camping things, stuff like that). It has a strong smell too and really may work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothy, boaters have to deal with musty smells all the time. Look in a boating store or online for an anti-mold spray sold specifically for boat canvas. I bet campers have something similar too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://www.wikihow.com/Remove-Musty-Smell-from-Clothes

    This is worth a look, has lots of ideas. Good luck. The zips may smell less individually than in a bunch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bleach and hot water. Then put it in the dryer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The smell should come out over time - mind you, i wouldn't want to put it in an article of clothing and find out it doesn't diminsh with time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Febreeze and oxyclean are my favorites. It's wonderful that you do that for your students! Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great zipper haul...super thrifty! You are such a kind teacher too. I think baking soda may help since it works for the fridge. Maybe soaking in baking soda and warm water?

    mongs
    muthriftycloset.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, metal zippers are expensive, good score! Hang them out on the line to air, it may be all they need.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is going to sound really odd: I suggest you wash them thoroughly under very hot water (even boiling water) and then rinse them with water and bleach (1 capful for a sinkful of hot water) and then put them in the dryer on high heat. The hot water will kill any mold spores and the bleach will kill any stragglers. The heat will finish the lot. Plus the bleach smell should overpower the musty smell. Its a one-two-three assault and it should work.

    ReplyDelete
  11. If the smell isn't mostly out after two or three washings, it is not going to come out. Sometimes thrift purchases are a gamble: sometimes you win and sometimes you lose. Good luck. Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would love to hear if any of the suggestions from commenters worked. I am impressed that the zippers have held up over time. I guess they don't make things like they used to...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Vinegar! Rinse with vinegar, 'tis the simplest and most efficient. Line dry.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...