Sunday, August 19, 2012

My New Fall Jacket

I made this jacket out of some fun cotton twill I found this summer.

I actually used twill tape for the trim. It is a casual jacket so I thought I could get away with it and I'm pleased with the results.

Added twill tape on the pocket openings too.

I'm not sure if you can see it in this picture but I finished the seams in  what I call "abbreviated Hong Kiong" seam finished. That is, I pressed the seam to the side and then encased it in bias tape. (Instead of pressing the seam open and encasing each side in bias tape).

I was really unsure about the shoulder pads. I liked them but then I was afraid I would look like a linebacker with them in. So, I used Velcro and made them detachable.

And I encased the store bought shoulder pads in some extra fabric - more as a learning  skill than for any reason.  (I should have finished the seams of the shoulder pads differently. They look terrible here but they are serged.)

And I made a buttonhole. Buttonholes are something I avoid but since getting the Colette pattern for the Beignet, I figured I better start practising. (I am almost finished the Beignet and will post it next week.)
Finished!

14 comments:

  1. Hi! You have a lovely blog ♥. I really like it. Thank you for visitng my blog and for following it. I followed you back via GFC on this blog and also on A Question for the Teacher.

    Love, Katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do we get to see it on you? It is very cool, love the fabric and the style!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'll get a picture of myself wearing it and post it soon.

      Delete
  3. I love it Nothy. A nice color for fall too...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the colour too. It is bright but still dark enough for fall.

      Delete
  4. That is such a cute jacket! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this! The color is great. Did you use a pattern?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I did use a pattern but I veered away from it and made some elements up. It is a Palmer and Peltsch pattern - McCalls 8638.

      Delete
  6. Oh, I love the fabric and the overall style. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am completely in love with your jacket!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a cute jacket! I love the fabric and it looks so well finished! Cool idea using the twill tape. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was gone on that gorgeous green, and when I looked at your superb attention to details, I went over the edge. This is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, what a lovely jacket! I love it! I am not a seamstress by any stretch of the imagination (haven't sewed anything since 8th grade Home Ec!), but I am following your wonderful blog.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...