Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Sewing Fatigue

I have finally finished my slipcover and it looks great. There is one part I want to re-do and I will before I do the big reveal on this blog.

File:Sewing-machine.JPG

But I have to tell you, I think what I have learned is that I prefer small projects. Keeping up my sewing enthusiasm during this slipcover was tough. With a dog with a sore paw and his inclination to play it up, and a lot of hoopla at work, coming home to sew this monstrously huge project was not relaxing at all. And I sew to relax.

So it got me thinking about the lag one gets half way through a project....I had taken a few days out to download my next project and to pre-treat the fabric and cut it....but I absolutely refused to start sewing a new project until this one was done.

What do you do when you have lost enthusiasm for your sewing project?

Here are a few rules I've set for myself:



  • Think through the size of the sewing project before you start....really think it through
  • refuse to start sewing a new project until the last one is done
  • use my sewing in half hour segments if I am really feeling burned-out on a project. You can get a lot done in half an hour
  • take (up to) a two day break from it all
  • read blogs to get inspiration
  • Also, take the time to get organized (keep all materials I need together) and make four or five bobbins of thread at once
How about you? Have you ever experienced "sewing fatigue"? Any advice?

6 comments:

  1. In get it all the time, and my workroom is a minefield of UFO's - at least 5 quilt UFOs, and three dressmaking ones I can think of - there's probably more. But at least I can pick one of them up and work on it any time I want to. If I had any time ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes I go a whole week without sewing because I'm just not in the mood. I know now that if I force myself to sew when I'm not in the sewing mood I'll just make mistakes and get frustrated. But other times I'm on a roll and sew for hours straight everyday for a couple weeks. I just have to go with the flow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes I go a whole week without sewing because I'm just not in the mood. I know now that if I force myself to sew when I'm not in the sewing mood I'll just make mistakes and get frustrated. But other times I'm on a roll and sew for hours straight everyday for a couple weeks. I just have to go with the flow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do think you have to sew when the mood takes you...if it's not grabbing me I do something else. Or spend a lot of time unpicking...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to see your slipcover. I made one a few years ago and haven't posted it yet. Hummm...may have to dig up the photos. Your right though, it IS a big job. I just took my time and had fun doing it. I have purchase the fabric to slipcover a small childs couch but I have had so many other things going on lately - no time. I am a early person so I wake up inspired and sew in the mornings before my daughter wakes... hence the "4am" after my blog title. Yep, 4am.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need a break from sewing after every project.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...