Monday, January 7, 2013

My Newest Sewing Project

Image of 1206 Hollyburn SkirtImage of 1205 Cordova Jacket
The Hollyburn Skirt and the Cordova Jacket are the patterns I am working on right now.


It's great to be back to the old arrangement - working during the day and sewing in the evenings!

I plan to cut the skirt out tonight and sew it up in the next few days. It's a beginner pattern so I am expecting no surprises. I love the Sewaholic patterns because the instructions are so straight forward. There is a sew-along for this skirt by Rachel at My Messings...I may make a second skirt in the sew-along just for fun.



This steel grey fabric is from my stash - it is a heavy polyester weave and it is quite versatile.

After the first Hollyburn Skirt, I will get right into the Cordova. Again, I will be choosing fabric from my stash. That damn stash is just too big...I have to widdle it down.  

I made my New Years' resolutions in November ( my sewing ones at least):

  • finish one new pattern a month (minimum - two would be ideal but not always doable each month)
  • repeats of patterns need to have a variation (either provided with the pattern or improvised by me)
  • purchase no new big 4 patterns for one year to encourage me to use the patterns I own - and to change them to match new patterns I like
  • purchase all the independent patterns I want - they are well made and motivate me to sew more (hey, this challenge is about more sewing not saving money)
  • purchase no new books (with the exception of the Burda Vintage book and the two I ordered this weekend plus any really, really good thrift shop deals that I can;t pass up!)
  • sew a wardrobe of clothes that fit, look good and make me feel good
  • wear the clothes I make

7 comments:

  1. I was eyeing those 2 patterns, but i've held off because i already have so many patterns on my to do list. Can't wait to see how yours turn out! Actually i'm about to cut the fabric for a dress from one of the patterns you sent me in the patterns and postcards swap! i just need to go buy some lining fabric and a longer zipper =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have similar ideas from a pattern perspective. I need to sew up the patterns I have but I won't hold myself back from the independents. I'm looking forward to seeing your Hollyburn. I made a grey skirt in courderoy last year and it's been great for casual days at work when I don't want to wear jeans. I don't know about your closet, but I found it worked really well in my wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to see your version of the Cordova! (I want to make one too, but it probably won't be warm enough to wear it before March :( )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck!! I'm excited to see these patterns made up. I love these indie patterns, but haven't made any myself. Heck, I haven't even sewed anything in months. Anyway, great resolutions!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh I have these two on my list too! I'm going to do the sew along for the skirt and I haven't decided on a fabric for the jacket. Where I live it doesn't get cold much so I'm thinking a linen will have to do. Can't wait to see what you do!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your resolutions are great. You'll do well with them. Looking forward to seeing your Hollyburn and Cordova. Cool patterns. Being a Sewaholic-aholoc is so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that fabric...such a great colour. Can't wait to see it made up.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...