Monday, January 21, 2013

The Rocky Road to My New Sewing Machine....


A few people told me -emphatically told me- not to buy a sewing machine from Walmart. But I was lured by the price (and saved by their return policy!)
 
 Singer Fashion Mate - available from Walmart Canada for approximately $195 plus taxes. I bought it and three days later returned it. My issue: it could not make a buttonhole through medium-weight cotton.
Features
  • Top drop-in bobbin with clear cover provides for quicker threading
  • 70 built-in stitches - 8 essential, 8 stretch, 48 decorative and 6 buttonholes
  • 100 stitch functions
  • 6 fully automatic 1-step buttonholes

Notes: I loved the features and it seemed like a great machine until I tired to make a buttonhole. Then I knew it was not for me...See my review of this machine on Walmart.ca

Stubborn me, I returned to Walmart and bought the Brother CE8080 which had numerous favourable reviews on amazon.com and Walmart.com

I had previously owned a cheap Brother before and was reluctant to buy another. But when the Singer didn't work out, I decided to give it a try.
 Brother Sewing Machine Computerized CE8080 Special Project Runway EditionThis picture is from Amazon.com but it is the same Brother CE 8080 that I purchased and owned for one day from Walmart Canada. It has some really great reviews on Walmart.com and Amazon.com. I found it to be very rickety and I knew, almost immediately, that it was not the machine for me....My review on Walmart is the second one listed here.

So I took the advice of all my sewing friends, both online and not, who said to check out refurbished models from sewing stores. I did and I was so surprised. What wonderful machines they have available with warrenties and lessons. I was all set to buy one when....

I found my dream machine from a woman who was retiring from sewing on Kijiji. I got it for $275 and it is a dream..........


Kenmore®/MD 606-stitch Computerized Sewing Machine
This is the Kenmore 19005 which is one model older then the one they sell right now...but my original machine was a Kenmore and it works beautifully. I can also still buy a protection plan...
 The woman whom I purchased it from kept it in pristine condition and she had also purchased a lot of extras for the embroidery functions of the machine. (Guess who will be toying with embroidery next?)

SO, I set out to spend $150 - $200 on a cheap machine to tide me over until I had the money together for a really good machine and I ended up with a big headache and lots of running around a great machine that I doubt I will need to replace for a long, long time.

Now, back to the Hollyburn skirt I was making.....

12 comments:

  1. I had a Singer Advance 7482 (I'm not sure on the model number) that I bought at Walmart for around $200. It could make a button hole in medium weight cotton. I made lots of button holes with it. However, using the one step button hole, I NEVER got the same size button hole with the same button. It was so weird, one would be perfect, one would be too big, one would be too small. It was ridiculous. I ended up saving up and getting a $500 Janome, which I love, and it makes the same size button holes EVERY TIME I use it :P The walmart machines just aren't worth the hassle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of those live'n'learn stories - glad you have a great machine in the end and are back to sewing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes and I am glad to say that it all worked out in the end...

      Delete
  3. My Sewing machine broke down the week before Christmas and in desperation I bought one at Walmart for about $145. Just to service my Elna is over $200 and with something wrong who knows what it will cost. So the Walmart Singer will have to do for the next few months until I get the Elna fixed or save to buy the machine I really want. So crossing my fingers it won't be too much of a hassle!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too, Debbie. When I returned my machines to Walmart, the salesclerk went over the machine and all its parts with a fine tooth comb!

      Delete
  4. Yay! congrats on the new machine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great deal! Lemons happen from time to time. Glad you found a machine you are happy with. It looks like a dream.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the comment you left on my blog..I appreciate it so much.
    love nita

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just took my Huskavarna Victoria in to be serviced and found that it required major repairs. The parts are $150.00 plus tax and then there will be labour and the service bill. I was asked 'do you want to purchase a new machine?' No! I love my Victoria. I have had it for 10 years, use it heavily and this is the first big repair bill. Years ago, I purchased a cheap White machine because I knew my old machine was giving out. I burned the motor out of that Huskavarna motor (Baycrest Label)and the White - I call it 'Betty White for its attitue - is only good for filling bobbins for a 1960's machine that I use when working with heavy fabric. Having been bitten by cheap sewing machines, I will only sew with a good machine. I'm on holidays, so don't care how long the repairs take. Can't wait to get my 'baby' back.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As one of the "emphatic" ones, I am sorry you had to go through this, and very glad that you got your money back. I'm sure you and your new baby will be happy together 8-).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Its like you read my thoughts! You appear to know so much
    approximately this, such as you wrote the guide in it or something.
    I think that you can do with a few p.c. to power the message home a little bit, but instead of that, this
    is great blog. A great read. I will certainly be back.

    my page - bmi chart for men

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...