Sunday, April 21, 2013

The Singer 185 J ..........in Vintage Avocado!



LOOK at this  BEAUTY!!!!!

I've been sick lately - I think I had a really bad case of food poisoning ...but since they never tell you that is only a guess.....Now I am a germaphob. According to the Urban Dictionary that is
"Any person who is obsessed with cleanliness and defeating bacteria. These individuals will turn on faucets with their elbows and hand sanitize on an hourly basis"

Maybe I'm not bad (that sounds sick) but I am now a chronic hand-washer ....

And here is how I've cheered myself up: With a Singer 185 J ..................instead of flowers, shouldn't people give vintage sewing machines?


    This model was released in 1958, and is an updated version of the long-serving 99 series. The "J" designation means it was made in Canada; the British version is the 185K, and the US version the 185.     

 
 






This Singer portable straight-stitch sewing machine model 185J was manufactured in Canada, and still runs smoothly and quietly.  It includes the original tweed and brown carry case. The decals and glossy pale green paint and chrome are also in excellent condition. Solidly built of cast iron.

The light is fitted with its original lens, and has a working bulb.
Includes the original pedal.No presser feet but I can buy those on Ebay. I already ordered the singer buttonholer for low shank machines.
Said to rival the Featherweight 221 model in terms of quality. Perfect for quilters and anyone else who loves to sew, and a collectible in an attractive vintage colour. 
Specs:
Size: 3/4 Full size (12-1/2" base)
Motor: Singer BZK-5 (external with V belt)
Drive Belt: Simanco Part No. 196386 (15" - 38cm O.D)
Needle: 15X1 (Standard, flat to right)
Needle Threading: Left to right
Bobbin: Class 66
Work Light: Fitted to rear

17 comments:

  1. I do hope you're feeling better. She is a beauty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm feeling better everyday thanks...I need to get back to sewing again. ANd this machine will help me do that!

      Delete
  2. I doubt that was called "avocado"...that was a color name from the 1970s. I bet in the fifties it was called "pale green" or "mint green" or something....but it looks like a great machine. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was talking to a friend and we had nearly the same realization. Pale green it is - but Kermit more vibrant than pale green...

      Delete
  3. So sorry to hear you haven't been well. The machine is lovely, just adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry you were sick. The machine is just that,"Beauty."

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have nominated you for the Beautiful Blogger Award. You can pick it up at my blog. If you are not interested, please leave a message in the comments.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This machine would help anyone get over being sick - lucky you to have it! Have you given it a test run yet???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yup, I've been testing it off and on for a few hours. This is my first Singer so I will have to pick up Singer needles...

      Delete
  7. Sorry you have been sick - I had food poisioning once, and then had to sit through a statistics exam! Severe food poisoning is not fun, and quite dangerous, so I think you are wise washing your hands lots. I do, and so does my husband - he gets most perturbed that people don't do these basices nowasdays, and he is a physician. So, I think you have a healthy obsession. The machine is much better than flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Feel better! I loooove the color of that Singer!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I work in a nursing home, and I think there is nothing wrong with being a germophobe. The speed at which an entire building can come down with a gastro-intestinal bug is astounding. After getting it twice in one year (lost 8 pounds in 4 days each time), I am a bit of a germophobe as well. On the average of once a week during outbreak season I bring isopropyl alcohol to work and wipe down all telephones and door handles and knobs. It does make a difference.

    Glad you are feeling better. Your new toy is very pretty. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...