Sunday, August 4, 2013

Oh Why Do I Buy Cheap Fabrics? A green T-shirt and a Black skirt and a lesson learned...

I've been using up some of the fabrics in my stash. I pick up a lot of fabric at thrift stores and some at the sale counters. And the poor quality is really disappointing. I have to learn to shop for better fabrics so that my time is spent well in sewing clothes I like to wear...



This is a short sleeved Renfrew cowl-neck. It looks okay but the fabric is thin and really horrid to the touch.

This is a simple pull-on skirt made of something polyester-rayon and stretchy. It looks okay but again, it feels like plastic. I did add a pocket to this pattern which I am quite proud of...

And a green Renfrew T-shirt with a wonky neck...


SO I guess these are barely wearable muslins and I need to invest in some better fabrics ...and I live near a fabric district where they are plentiful and reasonably priced. I have no excuse. Live and learn I guess....

8 comments:

  1. We have all been there. You learn the importance of good fabric very quickly. Chalk these up as muslins and make new sets in better fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going through the same thing right now. I'm determined to 'bust my stash' to make room in my little apartment. There's mostly cheapies in there. Luckily my stash is not that big. I'll consider them muslins if they're not flattering or wearable. After this, I want to invest in better fabric, one garment at a time. I guess it's another learning experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Muslins are supposed to be made from cheap fabric. That is the point. Its a cheap first take. And originally they weren't supposed to be wearable. THat is just a bonus. SO throw them out and make new ones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree - but for first runs, these are not too bad and you can wear them while you make better things - if you look at RTW you'll find the quality isn't great there either. I have fallen into the same trap, but unfortunately don't live near good fabric stores. Still, cheap fabric is good to practice with.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I hear you... but great to use the poor quality stretch fabrics as muslin!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahh yes, live and learn...don't we all! :-) You still did MUCH better than I could, even with bad fabric! ;-) I so wish I could sew. Bought myself a sewing machine, but used it only once, so I gave it away, lol! Have a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have quite a bit of fabric that I look at now and wonder what I was thinking. I mean, there is okay poly and there is what I've got from buy 1 get 3 free at Fabricland. And of course, since it was that kind of promotion, I've got MANY meters to use up. We'll keep an eye on the feel of fabric on Saturday so your next versions of these muslins make you happy to wear them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your outfit looks very nice. I have ordered fabrics that I couldn't possibly use. I'm a lot more careful about choosing fabrics now! The more we sew, the more we learn.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...