Wednesday, September 11, 2013

McCalls 5929 A Buttondown with Ruffles

It is very hot here today - unusually hot for September. So I am thinking long sleeve shirts and fall jackets. I'm always out of season. Seriously, the weather is supposed to be more seasonal in a day or two.

Week 2 of the Button down Shirts for the Scary September Challenge


 M5929

Here is my version in a pink cotton linen blend. I loved working with this fabric after the slippery fabric I used to make the Brenda Blouse....















I re-arranged the format of those ruffles a bit. I think the next time I make this, I will leave the position of the ruffles alone.

This is a close-up of the ruffles. I don't care for how they are sewn onto the outside of the shirt but then, I can't see another way of doing it. Maybe it is just the curve of the ruffles that exposes that more?






So...I am finished one shirt, 3/4 finished the other and heading into my third for the third weekend of September. I am thrilled that I am right on schedule. Sometimes when I fall behind on these challenges, I never catch up. Not this time! I am thrilled with this Scary September Challenge!

And I have even cut out my fabric and lining for a fall coat!

14 comments:

  1. Wow - that is a great shirt! Love those ruffles. Well done on staying on track.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think I am over my ruffle fascination though. You only need one shirt with ruffles, at least I do.

      Delete
  2. Great shirt. Love the colour. I prefer your version to the one on the model.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ruffels can be scarey thing, even changing a pattern & making it our own can be a scarey thing, you did a great job ,love the pink color, I noticed your comments are all up in the bottom of your post, if you'll skip dow a few spaces at the end of each post this should solve the problem
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Helen. Ruffles are scary. And thanks for the tips for the blog posts.

      Delete
  4. You've done a nice job with the ruffles. Very brave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I found ruffles daunting but then, like everything else in sewing, it all came together and somehow worked.

      Delete
  5. This is absolutely beautiful. I love what you did with the ruffles.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I like your placement of the ruffles better than the pattern too. And yes, unless you are a real ruffle sort of person, one shirt for ruffle moods is quite enough, I agree :) And a natural fabric is always much nicer to work with than polyester. And you managed the collar and collar band nicely.

    The coat looks lovely - and I think if in doubt always cut on the grain. Good idea about having a break and then going back to the cutting out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have yet to finish a button down shirt... embarrassing but true! I have a practice one in my sewing pile that I will hopefully get to shortly, and maybe that will end my button down fears.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...