Monday, September 2, 2013

My Saltspring Dress Variation No. 1

I love the Saltspring Dress because it just seems like the perfect basic dress pattern to play with. I followed some of the instructions and then improvised my own changes. I am completely finished one dress - made in a polyester - and am nearly finished the second dress made in the recommended rayon challis. I already have my fabric for a third version - and this time I'll make the long dress.

Also, sorry for the blurry pics. I am still getting used to a new camera. And I never read the instructions to these things. Its all trial-and-error with me. 


I fit the straps instead of tying them....

I found the length a bit short for my taste so I added a contrasting waistband (and I attempted to do a chevron waistband and it isn't perfect but I do like it). Oh! And I added a ruffle at the bottom just because I was playing...

Again, it isn't perfect but I am learning a lot and growing my confidence....

Because I added the chevron, I took out about three inches from the bodice, which is why I added the ruffle. I wanted the extra length.





Now, I am still finishing up my rayon challis version. It is a lot closer to the original pattern except for the straps, which I changed significantly. I should get that one posted by Wednesday. After that I am on to the next challenge from On Road to Sew Wear's Scary September Challenge...I'm making buttondowns (or what I call buttondowns anyway. You know those men's style shirts with the buttons down the front. ) I'm going to try to make one a week... I'll post pattern, fabric and progress later this week this weekend....

Scary September
Scary September Sewing Contest








10 comments:

  1. The pattern of the dress is really nice! I love the dress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the pattern too - and no-one is going to notice the imperfection in the chevron band. The pattern will make sure of that. It's going to be quite a cute dress with the ruffles as well. I think it looks nice with the fitted bands too.

    I'm glad your confidence is growing. It takes time.

    I'm joing BeaJay's Scary September as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And I knew you were part of the Scary September sewing challenge. I need challenges to get me going.

      Delete
  3. I always have to cut patterns nearly in half cause I'm short lol! sometimes I think it'd be better to try to design my own lol, you did a great job on the dress, I'm also doing the scarey Sept. challenge
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This summer I've changed almost all the patterns I've used. I think it's just a phase with me - shortening pants and lengthening tops is a must though.

      Delete
  4. Love that dress. The fabric is divine. Great job. Looking forward to seeing the fabric and progress on your buttondowns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cut out the fabric tonight and I plan to watch movies and sew all day tomorrow. Thanks for the cheering section. It is very inspiring!

      Delete
  5. Cool! This is the nicest version of that dress I've seen yet! And the waist band chevron effect is very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Thanks for the compliment! You made my day.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...