Friday, February 14, 2014

My First Fearless February Jacket

This one is a hodge podge of two patterns: Vogue 2991 with some changes inspired by New Look 6000.




This jacket went together so easily, even with my changes. I am not often apt to make changes to a pattern but I just love the collar on New Look 6000 and wanted it for a vintage-inspired jacket. I am thrilled with the jacket - lined and all - although I would go down a size next time.
The cuffs have working buttonholes, which are completely unnecessary. The cuffs are wide and the buttons could have been sewn through all thicknesses but this is part of my Fearless February Challenge, so I thought I would add some working buttonholes.


The bottom hem is a bit narrow. Next time I will cut it with a longer hem in mind. I am undecided whether I will take this jacket in on the sides. I feel like I finished it, I should leave well enough alone.

Pattern Description: A coat by Sandra Betzina, who makes lovely patterns that are user friendly and include detailed instructions. This one has princess seams. I made the short version

Pattern Sizing: Sandra Betzina has her own sizing on the vogue patterns site and she makes clothes for real women who come in all sizes.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes, except I made changes to the collar and I pulled the opening to one that is on the right. I wanted a more retro look than the one on the pattern

Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes, I love Sandra Betzina's instructions because they are clear consistently.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? Nothing.

Fabric Used: I used upholstery fabric. I liked the weight and the colour. And a dark blue rayon for the lining.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: I changed the collar to reflect Simplicity 6000 - a dress with a great retro collar. and I added to the front right a few inches so that the jacket would open to one side. I added cuffs too because I wanted three quarter length sleeves and altered the pattern for them and then decided I cut the sleeves too short. The pattern comes with full-length sleeves.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? This is a great pattern. I think I should have sewn a smaller size and next time I will. I want to make the long version as a winter coat.

Conclusion: This is a good coat pattern. The instructions are very detailed and the coat is quite flattering. I think any advanced beginner could make this easily.

12 comments:

  1. I like the pattern and the fabric. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your first Fearless February make. It looks nice too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I may take in the sides a bit but I am enjoying it.

      Delete
  3. Nice job!! I love the fabric choice and great design of the jacket.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a pretty jacket. I like the collar and big accent button. How fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The collar was a bit of a risk but it did turn out so I am quite happy with it.

      Delete
  5. What a fun jacket! I love the color/pattern and it looks perfect on you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE that. I have a jacket (like suit jacket, not coat) that has a similar collar. It's PINK and slightly puffy 3/4 sleeves. When I bought it, I wasn't sure if it was really going to fit in my wardrobe but I wear it all the time now. I get so many compliments on it I think because it's distinctive. I bet you will get a lot of comments on that coat too. Good choice in buttons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you soooo much! I was unsure about the collar but I do like it now.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...