Saturday, March 1, 2014

Completed Project: Angela Kane's Authentic Jeans

Okay, I finished my first ever pair of jeans. I used Angela Kane's patterns and sewing tutorials and I think they turned out pretty well. I made a few mistakes but these jeans are a good fit, and are very wearable. When I started this project, I thought jeans were a bit beyond my sewing comfort level. This being February, and me being enrolled in Victoria's Fearless February Challenge, I decided to go for it. So after two jackets and putting aside my third - the Albion - for a week or so, I jumped into this jeans project. And boy am I glad I did!


First, presently I take photos in the bathroom. Because, whatever else you have heard about this horrific and never-ending winter in Ontario, it is also a very dark winter and I live in a very dark house too.

I wanted these jeans to be a bit roomy, so when I fell between sizes I went with the larger size. I didn't take into account the stretchiness of the denim fabric though. I should have went down a size.



They are comfy and fit well. And for my first pair, I am thrilled.

I had chalked out a more elaborate design for the back pockets and then decided to go with something much simpler.

A satisfied sewist, proud of her new skills. (And I've worked on this with a week-long migraine...I figure if I give up when I get a migraine, I would never finish any project.)


Now a bit more about the pattern:
www.angelakane.com
Angela Kane sews right along with you in her videos. She is really determined to stay true to authentic jeans, so this pattern includes bar tacks and flat fell seams. She has her video tutorial split into several segments so you can watch as you need help or watch them all if you choose. She also has a jeans instruction e-book. I paid 15 British pounds for access to all her patterns, tutorials and e-books last year and 5 British pounds for each added year. She has patterns for dresses, coats, t-shirts, jeans, skirts and more. Recently she has started included sloper patterns - which are something I can really benefit from.

You'll see her logo proudly displayed to your left. And here is a link to her free dress pattern and some video tutorials available on Youtube. I'll be making this dress over the March break in two weeks.

6 comments:

  1. Wow - you have done a great job on your first jeans. They look fab on you. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I am happy with them overall. ANd I am thrilled that I was able to finish them - all the way through I thought they might become an unfinished project.

      Delete
  2. They are great! Jeans totally rock don't they!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes jeans do totally rock. I already purchased a burda pattern for my spring break sewing. I plan to only make jeans in the future. The top stitching is fun and I learned to use heavy duty thread so that I don't need to change thread when I topstitch. Also heavy duty thread comes in some fabulous colours. Top stitching thread appears only to come in a few colours - or, in Ontario, they only carry a few colours.

      Delete
  3. Your new jeans look fantastic! And by the way, congrats on all your "fearless sewing" recently :). It's quite inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Meraj! I've wondered where you went. I'm thrilled to be back sewing again and blogging about it. Sewing is just a great thing to come back to - I hope you are sewing too.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...